As an organization focused on self-determination, the W̱SÁNEĆ Leadership Council promotes the W̱SÁNEĆ culture, traditional practices, and SENĆOŦEN language, including the original W̱SÁNEĆ management of the environment as it was meant to be. The WLC also seeks to promote sustainable and equitable development of resources within W̱SÁNEĆ Territory. One of the projects the WLC is currently facilitating is the W̱SÁNEĆ Youth SX̱OLE (Reef Net) Project.
The 12 W̱SÁNEĆ Youth Reef Net Workers will work closely and under the direction of knowledge holders to learn the specific knowledge to construct the SX̱OLE. Once the Reef Net construction is complete, the successful youth candidates will then set the SX̱OLE at a SWÁLET (Reef Net Location) site to be determined within the Gulf Islands.
The successful candidates will need to be excited, respectful, and interested in gaining this specialized knowledge.
- Participate in learning sessions lead by knowledge holders
- Canoe and paddling training sessions
- Water Safety Training
- Hands-on construction of a SX̱OLE
- Working within a COVID-19 protocol environment
- 3-5 day camp during SX̱OLE Set
- Day boat trips in the Territory
- W̱SÁNEĆ Youth between the ages of 15-25 years old
- A willingness to learn
- A willingness to paddle and be on a travel canoe on the water
- Safety Training and First Aid are an asset