Administrative Assistant – Indigenous Management Board Secretariat
The Indigenous Management Board (IMB) is seeking a highly motivated Administrative Assistant to fill a two-year term position (30-40 hours per week). Reporting to the Program Manager, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for a wide range of administrative and organizational duties supporting the IMB and the Nations’ members on a Steering Committee. Primary duties include, but are not limited to, meeting and event coordination, scheduling, word processing and reception.
The IMB is a collaboration of eleven First Nations, being: Quw’utsun Nation (Cowichan Tribes, Halalt First Nation, Lyackson First Nation, Penelakut Tribe, and Stz’uminus First Nation), Malahat Nation, Pauquachin First Nation, Snuneymuxw First Nation, Tsawout First Nation and the W̱SÁNEĆ Leadership Council (Tsartlip First Nation and Tseycum First Nation). The purpose of the IMB is to take back the roles, responsibilities and authorities over the territories and waters and to collaborate on issues of shared interest with regards to Parks Canada operations.
The IMB, along with Parks Canada and the Province of British Columbia, have also created a Steering Committee to conduct a feasibility assessment for the proposed national marine conservation area reserve (NMCAR) in the southern Strait of Georgia of British Columbia.
The IMB is committed to respecting diversity within our team and developing capacity for First Nations people within the eleven First Nations we represent. We encourage all First Nations applicants to self-identify as First Nations in our recruitment processes. Pursuant to Section 16(1) of the Canadian Human Rights Act, preference will be given to First Nations candidates.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Experience working with First Nations and/or First Nations collectives.
- Grade 12 or GED equivalency plus a certificate in administration or 1 to 2 years of direct experience working in an office administrative setting.
- Able to work independently, multitask, keep track of multiple deadlines, and plan activities to meet priorities.
- Able to act with tact and diplomacy, maintain effective working relationships, and contribute as a team member.
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Proficient in Microsoft software applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, others) and ability to learn other program.
- Proficient in various social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, etc).
- Possess valid driver’s licence and have access to a reliable motor vehicle.
- Assist the Secretariat in the coordination and arrangement of meetings and events including agenda preparation, making reservations and facility set up.
- Assist the Secretariat in providing regular communications and updates.
- Ensure that IMB travel arrangements and reservations are accurate and complete.
- Record and distribute meeting minutes and track action points.
- Keep track of source documents, and assist in compiling and entering data.
- Organize and maintain a multi-user filing system, and file correspondence and other records for the IMB and the Steering Committee.
- Maintain an up to date database of contacts.
- Support the Secretariat in keeping accurate financial records and developing annual financial and narrative reports on their activities and expenditures.
- General office organisation, administration and reception duties.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as necessary in the performance of the position and as assigned by the Program Manager.
|NOTE: The IMB operates in a distributed office environment. Currently, members of our team live and work from various locations on South Eastern Vancouver Island, including Brentwood Bay. Working location (including at home) and arrangements will be negotiated with the successful candidate. IMB will provide in-office equipment and a portable laptop. When working from home, Candidates should have stable access to an internet connection and be prepared to provide their own at home office equipment i.e. desk, chair, screen.
The position is a two-year contract based on a 30-40 hour work week, with a rate commensurate with experience (salary scale $40,000-$50,000, negotiable for contractors). There may be an opportunity for renewal or extension.
Terms of the contract, including flexibility as to whether the role is on contract or by employment, will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
Reports to: the Program Manager for the IMB Secretariat
We invite applications consisting of a one page cover letter and a resume with names of references.
Applications to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: Administrative Assistant – IMB Secretariat Application, no later than 4:00 pm PST Thursday September 7, 2023.
℅ W̱SÁNEĆ Leadership Council Society
800b Stellys Cross Rd
Saanichton, BC V8M 1J4
The Indigenous Management Board thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.