Job Description Title: QENTOL, YEN / W̱SÁNEĆ Marine Guardian
Application Due By: Friday, November 10th at 12:00pm
• Interviews will begin Monday, November 20th,2023
Description and Mandate
As an organization focused on self-determination, the W̱SÁNEĆ Leadership Council (WLC) works to enhance recognition of, and respect for, W̱SÁNEĆ Douglas Treaty rights and W̱SÁNEĆ Aboriginal rights and title on behalf of Tsartlip First Nation, and Tseycum First Nation. The WLC has created the QENTOL, YEN/ W̱SÁNEĆ Marine Guardians Program to protect the Southern Resident Killer Whales (SRKW) through monitoring and advocacy work. The QENTOL, YEN/ W̱SÁNEĆ Marine Guardians Program is seeking to fill 1 position for our Marine Guardians. We are looking to hire 1 member from either Tseycum First Nations or Tsartlip First Nations.
The vision for this position is to do the following:
• Find ways to ensure Southern Resident Killer Whales have access to prey.
• Evaluate marine vessel impacts and monitor vessel activity around Southern Resident Killer Whales
• Collaborate with like-minded allies who also are working to protect Southern Resident Killer Whales
• Restore the relationship between the KELŁOLEMEĆEN and W̱SÁNEĆ people.
The Guardians will be under the direction of the Southern Resident Killer Whale Senior Manager.
Main Tasks for the Marine Guardians
The main priority for this position is monitoring and compiling information to be entered into a database. The successful applicants will need to accurately record information as well as have strong observation skills. Furthermore, they will need to be comfortable using handheld electronics and with driving boats for long periods of time in a variety of marine weather conditions. The Marine Guardians will be responsible for the following:
• Report information to Marine Manager and other team members in the Guardian Program
• Document and identify all vessel in Interim Sanctuary Zones
• Document and identify seal and sea lion movement.
• Support and help monitor Goldstream Area to explore the possibility of working with organizations like Goldstream Volunteer Salmonid Enhancement Society and others.
• Monitor the Whale Watching Industry by visual monitoring and documentation using a variety of technology tools such as cameras, iPad, drones, hydrophones, etc.
• Enter all information into database.
• Photograph, record and report information, such as:
o Documenting whale watching and recreational boats transiting through Southern Resident Killer Whale Closure Area
Once hired, the applicant will also be required to obtain the following courses listed below during their 3 – month probation period. Training will be provided for those who may not have the following certificates:
• Small Domestic Vessel Basic Safety – Marine Emergency Duties
• Marine First Aid
• Small Vessel Operator Proficiency
• Restricted Operator Certificate Marine Radio License
After 3-month probation, hired applicant will be required to obtain their
• Advance Drone Training Restricted Operators Certificate within 3months
Skills and Experience Required:
Indigenous Knowledge, including knowledge of traditional harvesting practices and W̱SÁNEĆ laws is an asset
• Must have Pleasure Craft Operator Card
• Boating Experience Preferred
• Experience with Microsoft Office suite (e.g. Excel, Word, etc.)
• Must have proof of Class 5 License
o No “L” or “N” Drivers will be excepted.
o Must not have any restrictions on licence.
o Prior to being hired successful applicant will be required to provide a driver abstract.
• Applicants must be from one of 2 First Nations`: Tseycum and or Tsartlip First Nation
• Hired applicant will be placed on a 3-month probation period. Following 3-month probation period a review will occur. If successful after probation review, you will be offered a longer-term position of approx. 2yrs.depending on funding.
• You may be required to work weekends and evening, but primary work will be Monday – Friday
• Travel up island and over to mainland for work related duties (such as conferences & meeting)
• Must be willing to wear uniform.
• Travel on boat, ferry, and land throughout Salish Sea
• 1 position available
$24.00hr at 40hrs a week
Position Start Date
• Anticipated start date: Monday, December 4th, 2023
Send cover letter, resume and by email: email@example.com or drop off at the W̱SÁNEĆ Marine Guardian Office (Yellow Shipping Container) beside W̱SÁNEĆ Leadership Council Office at 800B Stellys Cross Road (Tsartlip Reserve), Brentwood Bay.