Reporting to the Vice President of Conservation Policy and Planning, the Director Indigenous Engagement & Conservation will lead the Indigenous Engagement and Conservation team within the National Conservation Department. The Director Indigenous Engagement & Conservation will have a high degree of autonomy and will engage extensively with NCC’s senior management, staff and key Indigenous advisors and partners to set the direction for Indigenous engagement and conservation at NCC, responding to both NCC strategic priorities and on-the-ground realities.
Leading a small team and working in close collaboration with NCC staff, senior managers, senior volunteers, and Indigenous partners, the Director Indigenous Engagement & Conservation will:
- Establish Indigenous engagement and conservation priorities, policies and practices that are respectful of Indigenous rights and national and international best practices as well as relationships with Indigenous nations and organizations.
- Enable new approaches to conservation that support Indigenous leadership such as supporting the establishment of Indigenous Protected and Conserved Areas or collaborate with researchers and practitioners to advance Indigenous land trusts.
- Advance change at NCC by building strong relationships across functional teams; participating in external and internal working groups with Indigenous and Crown governments, other conservation organizations, and academic scholars, and; meeting with Indigenous elders, community members, and representatives.
- Provide relevant and comprehensive advice for senior management and key staff that would reflect Indigenous priorities, NCC strategic direction, consideration of legal and financial impact, and operational realities.
- Identify, track, and resolve regional, national, and strategic matters related to Indigenous engagement and conservation. This will include matters directly related to Indigenous conservation as well as actions and activities that impact upon Indigenous rights, nations, and Individuals (e.g. national campaigns).
- Lead the Indigenous Engagement and Conservation team as well as contractors and students and provide mentoring and coaching and directing workloads, work plans, budgeting and professional development needs.
- Coordinate associated advisory bodies that will provide strategic advice to the support decision-making across the organization.
For more information about this opportunity, click the button below: